TT meeting March 1st 2017

TT Meeting-Forum Cinema 1st March 2017-03-02

Present

Sue H-Chair

Kate B

Wendy B

Jane B

Phil C

Matty

James S

 

1-Battle Hill Shop Window Display-Update. Going to be there until 28th April-Sue, Kate and Laura Hull have been instrumental in setting it up. TT contact details discussed. Former Pudding Parlour shop in Fore St may become available in future. No potential new TT members at the meeting.

 

2-Car Club Update. 1 new potential member has been referred. Newsletter imminent. All TT members to use word of mouth to try and increase take up. Kate to look at leaflets and posters held and decide if info still correct and best way to distribute/display. Jane B to contact Co-Wheels to get redundant sign at Wentworth CP re-sited or removed. Helen Graysham of BID to be contacted by Sue/Wendy to see if BID could promote to businesses or even themselves become a member.  James to contact Blackall Mill Community Group to find out their experience.

 

3-Edible Hexham-Saturday 4th March work party needed at Wentworth CP for tree planting being organised by Sue. So far the scheme has received approx. £500 from the Waitrose Green Tokens and £1000 from the RHS-Tesco Plastic Bag fund to be approached. Sue/Kate to explore potential Facebook presence with Laura Hull. All to note that Gareth will tweet info for TT.

 

4-Proposal for Talks and Visits –since proposal made at AGM Matty has been researching possible venues. No decisions made and options discussed. 4 potential talks discussed-Vertical Veg, a Todmorden speaker, Green Branch WEA (Matt/Energy Saving in the Home), Mark Siddell (Passifhaus). Concensus reached that Vertical Veg could be the first as it has a querky side to it . Phil has Mark Siddell contact. Discussion of relative merits of charging for tickets versus asking for a minimum donation. The QH at one end of the spectrum could both sell tickets and promote but may be expensive whilst a venue like the Trinity Methodist Hall would be relatively inexpensive but TT would need to do all the ticketing and promotion. Further proposals to come to next TT meeting.

Potential of TT members visit to look at the sustainability criteria used by ESH Homes on the Corbridge Road. Conclusion reached that individual interested members could call in any day of the week and see the show house. Do not leave it too long as only 4 homes unsold.

 

5-Venue for future TT meetings. –The relative merits and costs of various venues discussed (Forum Café, Bin 21, Heart of Northumbria, RAFA Club and the Tans Café) No conclusions reached but the Tans new meeting rooms to be appraised/costed (Helen Milner is the contact.)

 

6-Spring Festival-22nd April-Discussion of TT presence options eg Car Club promotion. Loraine to be contacted by Sue as to availability of stalls or Gazebo space.

 

7-Salmon Tails (interpretation associated with the fish pass project). HLF bid going in for interpretation and walking routes. TT asked to provide letter of support which Jane B has written. NCC currently doing some bank stabilisation works.

 

8-TT ‘Doing more stuff’– Phil introduced some ideas he had been thinking about.

  • TT facilitating an extention to Edible Hexham. How to extend the demonstration of growing ones own food from the planting box to peoples own garden, bringing /disseminating skills more widely. Various ideas were discussed including making a tie in to Hexham Hidden Gardens project.
  • TT championing vegetarian cooking/diet. Kate offered to explore vegetarian cooking courses/demos with Hexham Tans as a starting point.
  • TT championing/demonstrating sustainability through the Arts. Broad agreement that the Arts can be a strong way of getting messages across and that this idea could be developed by working in partnership with existing groups.
  • TT exploring and championing various techniques like mindfulness/meditation to help people cope with the barriers to leading a sustainable lifestyle. Idea not discussed in depth.

 

9- Variable Systems Model and other Transition organisations governance documents introduced by Phil. Not time to discuss but agreed to pick up at next meeting after attached 4 documents have been looked at.

 

 

Core Meeting – 2nd October 2013

Present: Tamsin, Megan, Ross, Tim, Jane, Jo, Kate, Pat, Laura, Rowan, Stuart, Barbara, David, Richard,  Gillian (facilitator) and Debbie (minutes)
Apologies: Rosemary
Greenpeace demonstration Saturday 5th October: this will be in Fore Street, possibly outside Argos, from 10 to 12, to draw attention to the arrest of the 30 Greenpeace members protesting about Gazprom’s intentions to exploit the Arctic. TT members are invited to join in.
Rowan Jackson’s dissertation: Rowan thanked us for helping him with his research, and agreed to send us a copy of his dissertation when it’s complete. He also asked each of us to email him a photo which symbolises our feelings about the environment, together with a short explanation of our choice.
Directors’ meeting on September 12th: Gillian summarised the discussion that had taken place (minutes to follow). An open meeting with Ann Lawson will be held on October 17th (time and venue to be arranged).
Edible Hexham: there will be planting in the spring on 5 sites throughout the town. Both the West Northumberland Food Bank and Hexham Community Partnership are involved. There is to be an article about the project in this week’s Hexham Courant.
Anyone who wants to be involved should email Rosemary or Gillian.
Car club: contracts have been signed between Co-Wheels and the County Council, and it’s hoped that the club will be launched in November. Jane and the rest of the car club team will organise this before next monthly meeting. There was discussion about coinciding the launch with Children in Need but this was decided against.
.
Apple-picking/pressing: there’ll be a picking session in Leazes Orchard on Saturday 5th starting at 10.30, in preparation for apple-pressing at the Farmers’ Market on October 12th. Pat will do a risk assessment for both the picking session and the market itself, and send a notice round asking for people to bring their own apples direct to the market.
Richard had investigated the possibility of Easyhire buying and letting out an apple-crusher, but it wasn’t feasible.
Laura has use of a crusher at work and will look into whether she can bring it to the market on 12th.
Sam Gilchrist (Food Bank Coordinator) had drawn Gillian’s attention to an elderly couple who needed help with picking their apples and other fruit – please contact Gillian for details if would like to do this. It’s hoped that TT members will be able to offer help earlier next year.
Farmers’ Market September 28th: the focus of the stall was bees. David and Barbara had arranged for Bill Hunter, another member of Hexham Bee-Keepers Association, to bring a hive and join them in talking about bee-keeping, and this drew a lot of interest. Jo and Debbie had prepared displays about the importance of bees/bee-friendly plants and laid the groundwork for making homes for solitary bees early next year.
Community Garden at Hexham Middle School: a new member has joined the group. Chris and David had investigated the state of the roof of the store and it looks as if it can be mended fairly cheaply (not by the Middle School). Next session is apple-picking on Saturday 5th, then normal gardening session on October 19th.
Dukeshouse Wood: this woodland is now registered as a community asset, and has to be offered to the community first. Jo told us about her time finding out about agro-forestry at Dartington in Devon, and has volunteered to contact Andy Bates and Claire Lindsay about current plans for Dukeshouse Wood and TT’s possible involvement, either as individuals and/or as a group.
The business part of the meeting finished at 8.30 and was followed by a discussion of TT’s aims and objectives, to be amended and updated as required.

Transition Tyndale Meeting 1st May 2013 Scott’s Cafe Forum Cinema Notes

Transition Tyndale Meeting 1st May 2013 Scott’s Cafe Forum Cinema
Chair : David
Notes : Barbara

Present : Debbie, Kate, Jo, Richard, Roly, Jane, Wendy, Sue,

Apologies received from Ross, Gill, Megan, Pat, Phil, Roger, Andrew & Kat, Anderw Auld, Mark Slipperly.

1. Energy Fair 11th May Trinity Church Hall 10am – 4pm. Volunteers are needed from 8am to help set-up; meet and greet; also we hope to be able to have energy monitors to lend out on this occasion.
2. Incredible Edible Todmorden Trip 18th May Richard will send out an email for people to sign up to travel by mini-bus. There will be a tour of the town and a presentation.
3. Love Your Bike 3 25th May will be held at West End Methodist.
4. Transition Free Press was available for £1 from Debbie. It was agreed with our Treasurer, Wendy, that Debbie be reimbursed for the whole purchase and return the money from sales to T.T.
5. Car Share Scheme: Jane and Susannah had a meeting with NCC Local Transport Officers – Margaret Robinson, Richard Mackenzie, and Co-Wheels. £35,000 is earmarked for the purchase of two probably hybrid cars, arrangements of street parking consultation by the charging points is required but the project could be launched this summer. Jane asked for T.T. Volunteers to help with publicity and management of the Car Club that will cost £25 and the cars will be hired to members at an hourly rate.
6. 25th May Farmer Market Seedling Swop on T.T. Stall. Please bring surplus seedlings from your or your friends supply and collect rare and wonderful specimens provided by other people. Flowers, herbs, salad, veggies and surplus seeds

This is a summary of the views of those present regarding campaining.
Discussion about campaigning initiated through various scenarios presented by David,( see previous post) were scaled depicting T.T. engaging with complex controversial issues to
local education and awareness raising.
We agreed that individual members of T.T. would represent their views on sustainability and resilience by active engagement with projects meeting our objectives.
We could achieve our objects by facilitating local neighborhood actions, campaigning to influence our local authorities such as our MP, NCC, Town or Parish Councils, and provide or organize or promote educational and awareness raising initiatives.
It was agreed that TT is not aligned to any political party but does support initiatives towards energy descent and ecological preservation and conservation by government.
It was also agreed that we could benefit from more expert knowledge on complex and controversial issues to ensure that our motivation and actions are aligned with our core beliefs.
We did not see ourselves as a protest group but an action group so individuals were not inclined towards confrontation but strongly inclined to building the local community spirit supporting and reinforcing our ideals.

Core Meeting – 3rd April 2013

Only a small group were present for this meeting, largely owing to the school holidays. The meeting restricted itself to checking on progress on various projects.

Walled Garden

A suggestion had come from a Civic Society (HCS) member to develop the garden located in the grounds of the Golf Club (Spital Lane). The land, which had attracted interest at several points over the years, had potential as a community garden. Pat Caris of HCS would contact Gillian to discuss the best form of approach

Continue reading “Core Meeting – 3rd April 2013”

Core Meeting – 6th March 2012

Apologies. Tim, Trevor, Kate & Pat
Present, Barbara (Chair person), Richard, Phil, Jo, Gillian, Debbie, Gunter, David, Daniel, Ross

Barbara opened the meeting by asking Daniel to explain his masters project.

Daniel informed the group that his first degree being in history.and his research was in town planning, city security, resilience and disruptive , failure of cities. He is interested in Climate change and a self directed research project was focussing on resilience where and where does it fit with town planning. He is hoping to carry out interviews with people involved in Transition. Other researchers had varied perspectives of Transition and he is looking for first hand experience of how such a group works. Barbara mentioned the structures meeting on the 26th March and thought this be interesting for daniel to attend. Daniel mentioned that he is looking to Observe and understand the applicability of values of Totnes and how they translate into the group in Tynedale. Richard mentioned that Prospect Hs is available on the 26th March and it was agreed to hold the meeting there. Ross commented that one researcher “Luke” had gained a valuable insight into TT by becoming totally involved in the projects.

Barbara moved the meeting on to Dukes House Wood

Jim gave a overview of the project as follows:

Continue reading “Core Meeting – 6th March 2012”

Minutes 7 November

Minutes of the Core Group meeting held on 7 November

David chaired this meeting, which was attended by 17 people, including Cllr Derek Kennedy.

Questionnaire

Research student Hugo Winn from Durham circulated a survey sheet as part of his study of attitudes and views of group members.  These forms were completed during the course of the meeting. Results of his study would be available to the group.

Minutes

The minutes of the meeting on 10 October were approved.

Continue reading “Minutes 7 November”

Energy Group Meeting 1st Nov 2012

Energy Group MinutesLocation Ash House, Ash Close, Highford Park Hexham.Present:  Debbie, David, Geof, Mark, Gwen and Phil

Action items from previous meeting:

1..Local renewable energy traders to be invited to come to demonstrate their systems (Lewis and Debbie to contact previous firms who attended, and update the  list with traders new to the market.
A contact email has been drafted,  says Debbie

Trade fair,  David says levelling the playing field each local installer competing to get custom.  Unfortunately, Tim was not present so although we felt the trade fair was a good idea, it needs championing  but it was felt there was not enough energy or time to comit.

Continue reading “Energy Group Meeting 1st Nov 2012”

Energy Group Meeting – 5th October 2012

Transition Tynedale – Energy Working Group Summary of meeting on 5th October 2012

Present: Debbie, Gillian, David, Phil, Lewis

Apologies:  Tim

Small projects

Phil spoke of difficulty in identifying small low cost projects of an energy nature that could be grown from”grass roots”. The need for CE mark, ISO, WEE Regs  and safety were obstacles for any device.  Looking for help from the Transition Research Network for any guidance. David commented that TRN was in its infancy so it’s likely to be some time before any assistance will come from there.

Electricity monitors

There are  50 monitors altogether and their present locations are:

Continue reading “Energy Group Meeting – 5th October 2012”

Core Meeting – 10th October 2012

Tim chaired this meeting, which was attended by 20 people.

Energy

Phil noted the Energy Fair to be held on 11 May 2013, with a schools day planned for the day before. It was also planned to have a Trade Fair to interest local businesses in green alternatives. It was agreed that the Energy Fair would be a good vehicle for getting across other aspects of Transition work (for example, Green Deal or transport issues).

Gillian gave an update on the Hydro project.  Planning applications for licences, etc would need to be submitted in November.  The consultation meetings with fishing interests and with the public (2-3 Oct) had gone well, and despite some challenging questions the overall impression was positive (as confirmed by coverage in the Courant). However, there was still a lot of work to be done, with a need for funding – donations of any amount were valuable.

Continue reading “Core Meeting – 10th October 2012”

Energy Group Meeting – 14th Sept 2012

Attendees: Phil, Lewis, Debbie, Gillian, Tim, David.

Preamble … we decided not to cover the Dukeshouse wood as it is the subject of a separate meeting this coming Wednesday.

Energy research

Lewis started the meeting discussing his experiences with heat source pumps and some of the shortcomings in understanding in this technology. WE placed this as an action item to look at research in to best practice for energy technology.

I have recently joined a jiscmail for such information. Some feedback and further info is given below.

TRANSITION-TOWNS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

http://static.transitionnetwork.org/tnconf2012/photos/Saturday/photos/DSC_0100.html

We all introduced ourselves and had some general discussion before focusing in on the question of ‘what is a transition(ed) researcher’. We’ll be writing up the results of this exercise and the rest of our discussion to put on the TRN website (www.transitionresearchnetwork.org).

Energy Fair

Time is slipping by quickly and the subject of the energy fair was raised by Gillian. This has been a successful event in previous years and we decided we should make a focus on this again this year. Conversation on the subject included invited speakers, green energy group, and how best to pool resources. Gillian explained that in previous years the Trinity Methodist church had proven an excellent venue and offered excellent value for money catering. Suggested dates for the energy fair are Saturday the 11th May or Saturday the 18th May. Tim is to take ownership of reaching out to “TT Enablers”.

Trade Fair

Tim thought it a good idea to include a trade fair earlier in the year to stimulate the market and help local businesses get up to scratch with the latest technology. A date was provisionally set for such a Trade Fair for the 1st week in March. Further work to be done in clarifying the form of the Trade Fair as this would be the first such event supported by TT. Local sustainability was one important goal of the fair.

Web Training

TT web site user training came in as a topic but it was suggested that this should be dealt with by the main TT group.

Google apps

Phil suggested that a shared web folder and calendar for the energy group, may prove useful in helping to make meetings more easy to set up and provide a resource for planning tools and collaborative working. It was suggested that such a site should not detract from the main TT web site and that meeting minutes and blogs should be focussed on the main site. All are in agreement.

Next meeting

The next energy group meeting is planned for Friday the 5th October.

Tim volunteered to chair the next monthly TT meeting on the 10th October.

I hope this is a true account of the proceedings and any omissions I apologies for in advance. Happy for any one to comment and suggest methods to improve note taking on the day.

Philip